Born in 1921 in St. Paul, Minnesota, Fr. Roney was ordained to the priesthood for the Archdiocese of St. Paul in 1945. He was incardinated into the Diocese of New Ulm when the diocese was formed in 1957.
Fr. Roney’s assignment history:
- Associate, Basilica of St. Mary, Minneapolis, 1945-1952
- Pastor, St. Francis of Assisi, Lake St. Croix Beach, 1952-1955
- Pastor, St. John, Faxon Township and mission of Assumption, 1955-1958
- Pastor, St. Paul, Walnut Grove, 1958-1963
- Pastor, St. Francis in Benson, 1963-1967
- Pastor, St. Mary, Willmar, 1967-1980
- Pastor, St. Gregory the Great, Lafayette, 1980-1993
- Co-director of the San Lucas Mission Office for the Diocese of New Ulm, 1980-1986
- Director of the Office of the Propagation of the Faith for the Diocese of New Ulm, 1986-1994
- Director of the San Lucas Mission Office for the Diocese of New Ulm, 1986-1994
Fr. Roney retired from assigned ministry in 1993. In 1994, his request to move to San Lucas Toliman Mission in Guatemala was approved by the diocese. Fr. Roney assisted as a priest at the mission while his health permitted. The diocese removed him from ministry in 2002. He died in 2003 in Guatemala at the age of 82.