Born in 1919 in Troy Grove, Illinois, Fr. Fitzgerald was a priest of the Oblates of Mary Immaculate religious order ordained in Illinois in 1950.
In 1977-1978, Fr. Fitzgerald, then a priest assigned in the Diocese of Duluth, participated in a Clinical Pastoral Education program at Willmar State Hospital. While participating in the program, Fitzgerald engaged in temporary work at St. Thomas More parish in Lake Lillian. Fr. Fitzgerald was never incardinated into the Diocese of New Ulm.
Fr. Fitzgerald left the Diocese of New Ulm in 1978 and died in 2009.